You all know how this digital age has put us in a position to be a little or more insecure about the security of our phones and other digital devices. Whenever we purchase a new device, we try our best to get the one with the best security features. iPhones are often seen as secure and reliable devices to invest in. Contrary to your popular belief in iOS, your iPhone can certainly be hacked.
Lets explore the possibility of your iPhone getting hacked, the signs that you must always watch out for, and the steps to take if you suspect your device has been compromised.
How Can I Tell If My iPhone Got Hacked?
Hackers have always managed to continuously evolve their techniques, targeting vulnerabilities and exploiting loopholes to gain unauthorized access to iPhones. While it may be challenging to detect a sophisticated hack, there are several signs that may indicate your iPhone has been compromised:
- Quick Battery Drainage: iPhone’s battery is draining unusually fast? This can be a sign of malicious activity. Hacking tools and processes running in the background can significantly impact your device’s battery life.
- Pop-ups and Ads: Unexpected pop-ups, advertisements, or redirects frequently occurring on your iPhone’s screen? Even when you’re not using any specific app? Probably some malware has compromised your phone.
- Getting Calls from Random Numbers: uhhh..! It’s the most irritating thing in the world..if a phone number looks suspicious or someone is attempting to extract your personal information; it indicates that your device has been compromised.
What Should I do If My iPhone Is Hacked?
First of all, calm down … there’s almost nothing in this world that can’t be fixed. But yeah! It’s crucial to take immediate action to safeguard your data and restore the security of your device.
- Disconnect immediately from the Internet:
As soon as you suspect a hack, disconnect your iPhone from any Wi-Fi or cellular network to prevent further unauthorized access.
- Change your passwords:
okay…this is a no-brainer! Immediately change the passwords for all your accounts- be it Instagram, Snapchat, Spotify, or mail, email, and do not forget banking apps.
Make sure that you always create strong and unique passwords for each of your accounts, and consider using a password manager to help manage them securely. You can do this by using numerics, alphabets, and symbols to make your password indecipherable.
- Regularly Update iOS and Apps:
Update iPhone’s operating system and installed apps to the latest available versions, as these often include security patches that address known vulnerabilities.
- Scan for Malware:
Use reputable antivirus or anti-malware software designed explicitly for iPhones to scan your device for any potential malware or malicious apps. Follow the software’s instructions to remove or quarantine any detected threats.
- Factory reset:
Unfortunately, you may need to restore your iPhone to its factory settings using a trusted backup from a time before the suspected hack. Since this process will erase all data on your device, make sure you keep a backup stored on iCloud or a trusted computer.
So as we see, iPhones are not impervious to hacking. You must recognize the signs of a potential hack and take prompt action. This is crucial to protect your personal information and regain control of your device. Remember, prevention and proactive measures are essential to maintaining the security of your digital life.
- Samantha Hayes is a tech enthusiast with over a decade of experience in organizing and promoting hackathons. As the Editor of hacknjill.com, Samantha is passionate about fostering innovation and collaboration within the tech community. Born and raised in Silicon Valley, she completed her bachelor's degree in Computer Science and actively participated in hackathons, fueling her dedication to bringing brilliant minds together to solve real-world problems. With a deep understanding of the industry, Samantha excels in event management, community building, and content creation. She curates engaging content, spotlights emerging trends, and empowers underrepresented groups within the tech industry. Through hacknjill.com, Samantha aims to inspire the next generation of tech leaders by providing a platform for hackers, developers, and technology enthusiasts to exchange ideas and learn from each other. She believes that by fostering inclusivity and creativity, we can unlock the full potential of the tech industry and drive meaningful change.